New Caledonia is a popular destination for couples who want to tie the knot in a beautiful and unique location. But before you start planning your dream wedding in New Caledonia, it’s important to know the legal requirements for getting married in this South Pacific paradise. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the process of legally getting married in New Caledonia, including the process at the town hall.
- To get married in New Caledonia, couples must provide the following documents:
- A valid passport for each partner
- A birth certificate for each partner
- A certificate of celibacy or a divorce certificate, if applicable
- A medical certificate obtained in New Caledonia, stating that each partner is free of any contagious diseases
All documents must be translated into French and certified by a French consulate or embassy. Darling Don’t Panic can assist with this service as part of our Perfectionist Package.
- Town hall process: In New Caledonia, all civil ceremonies must take place at the town hall (mairie) of the municipality where at least one of the partners resides. The couple must submit all required documents to the town hall at least one month before the wedding date. The mayor’s office will then publish the banns (public announcements of the upcoming wedding) for ten days. After the publication of the banns, the couple must return to the town hall to obtain their marriage certificate. This certificate is required to complete the marriage process and legalise the union.
- Wedding planning: Once you have completed the legal process of getting married in New Caledonia, you can start planning the rest of your wedding. From choosing the perfect venue to selecting the menu and decorations, there are many details to consider when planning a wedding in this beautiful destination. Fortunately, Darling Don’t Panic can work with you in Australia and manage the local relationships in New Caledonia who can help you plan every aspect of your special day.
In conclusion, getting legally married in New Caledonia requires careful planning and adherence to the country’s residency requirements and document regulations. With the the help of Darling Don’t Panic however, you can enjoy a beautiful and memorable wedding in this tropical paradise.